Thursday, November 28, 2013

140 Amp LCE Alternator (update)

The new alternator seems to work pretty well.  Although last night I was out driving in the cold (around 15F!) and I stopped to pick up some things at a gas station.  I left the truck running and on my way in to the store, I noticed a faint squeaking sounds from the area of the new alternator.  I'm hoping this isn't a bearing issue!  I suspect this is just a loose fan-belt.  The original and current fan belt seems loose, and there's not more space left on the alternator adjustment slide to tighten it up.  I think either the fan belt wasn't OEM so is just a tad to big for the application -OR- it's become a bit stretched.  I am unable to tighten it more than it is now.  So on Friday or Saturday I'll stop by Autozone and pickup a new one.  If that one is also loose, I'll run over to NAPA and ask them if they have one about 1/2" shorter which should get me into about the 1/2-way mark on the Alternator Slide bracket with room to spare for tensioning.

I'll post an update on this when I have one.  Keeping fingers crossed that it's not a bearing in the new Alternator!  That would suck because this alternator cost me $282.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment