Sunday, November 24, 2013

LCE 140 amp Alternator - Installed

This past Saturday I installed the new replacement LCE 140 amp Alternator.  The job only took about 1 hour.  It was supposed to be a direct replacement unbolt, replace, bolt up job.  However, I found I needed to remove about 1/16" of aluminum from the Alternator lower mount point (off the back side of it) to get it to fit in okay.  After that, it was just a matter of putting the drive belt back on, and running a new 8ga Hot lead to the battery.  Wham-bam-thank-you-maam and Bobs ur uncle .... done.  It was about 36F outside so thankfully it didn't take much longer.

Test drove it last night with the lights on High Beam, and the heater fan on, and the lights were indeed quite bright, and no dimming at stop signs and idle.  So this tells me it was a worthwhile job.  Not entirely a cheap replacement/upgrade, but under $300, and worth the effort I think.  The new alternator should be easily good for another 300k miles (fingers crossed).

PS: The new 'Stroker' Engine block was ordered and should be shipping this week, which will be the start of the Supercharged 2.6 Liter upgraded engine Build for the rest of this year, and into early Spring 2014.  There are quite a few bits left to order for this stage of the build up.  I'd be a bit ashamed to note the total expected cost for it.  (so I won't) but I totally expect it to be a worthwhile effort.  More on that later...

PSS: (Update) The new Stroker block is being machined to suite the 8.3:1 pistons and should be shipped out the week of Dec 9th.  They had to order the Forged 8.3:1 pistons in order to get the block done properly.  Which is a GOOD thing!  Those will be the pistons they send me when I order the Short Block Stroker Kit later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment